Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Food Allergy Tips For the Newly Diagnosed

I was busily prepping dinner the other day when I got a text from my good friend. "Thanks for referring us to Dr.Jones, we just got done meeting with him, and it looks like May does have a peanut allergy." I offered her some positive encouragement, and told her we would get together soon so I could unload all my peanut allergy knowledge on her. That night I started making a mental list of things I would share with her, and decided to send her a quick tip email. Some of the tips are so second nature to me now I hardly remember a time I lived without them. But, for those that are newly diagnosed this is an unknown, and totally scary and intimidating time. So, what did I tell her? I'll tell you...

1- Things are labeled so much better than they used to be. In 2006 they passed a law that requires food manufacturers to list the top 8 allergens clearly on their packaging, if the allergen is one of the actual ingredients. They do not however have to list if the product was processed on the same equipment, or in the same factory as the allergen. Many companies choose to be wonderful and list if there is a possibility of cross contamination or not, but many don't ...There is a website I reference ALL THE TIME called Trust The Label www.trustthelabel.com You can check different brands on this site to find out if they label for cross contamination or not.
 
2-When eating out...Check the website prior to your visit. Check to see if they have an allergen menu you can view ahead of time, and get an idea of what you plan to order. Call ahead, and speak to a manager, ask them if they will be comfortable serving you. If they hesitate at all go somewhere else, it's not worth the risk. Try not to go during peak times when the staff is super busy and stressed. I make sure the food I order is also safe for Mazzy. I don't want to have to worry about sharing, or even giving her kisses later on. Also if she ever, heaven forbid, needed CPR I would need to be able to give it to her. Also, recheck things often menus are always changing.
 
3-Some great apps you can get on your phone:
Allergy Eats- You can search for restaurants in the area, and see how others have rated them for food allergy safety.
Content Checked- You can scan bar codes on your food, and if it's in their data base it will tell you if it's safe or not.
 
4-DONT LEAVE YOUR EPI PEN/ AUVI Q IN THE CAR!!! It has to be kept at room temperature.(I have sadly frozen a couple) If it freezes, or gets to hot the epinephrine can be compromised, and may no longer be effective. Always carry 2 in case the first one fails, or there is a biphasic reaction.
 
5- When working with a babysitter:
You can print a babysitter info sheet from kidswithfoodallergies.org (http://community.kidswithfoodallergies.org/clip/food-allergy-babysitter-drop-off-emergency-form). I always make sure Mazzy has eaten, so they wont have to worry about a full meal, and then provide a couple safe snacks so they don't have to wonder about what is okay to give her. I give them a full run down of symptoms, and how to admin the epi. I feel like they need to fully understand what is expected of them, if it makes them uncomfortable, them I'm not comfortable leaving Mazzy with them.
 
6- Don't be afraid to advocate for your daughter. I struggled with this in the beginning. I don't want to be an inconvenience. But I needed to push past this, and tap into my inner mamma bear sometimes. I find that 99.9% of people are more than willing to make adjustments to accommodate Mazzy's allergy, and for that .1% that isn't....Haters gonna hate.
 
7- There are some great support groups on facebook. Search for food allergies and a whole list will come up. You might want to start with Food Allergy Kids Clubhouse ;).
 
8- Make sure you check out the resources available from Food Allergy Research and Education (FARE) http://www.foodallergy.org/home and Kids With Food Allergies http://community.kidswithfoodallergies.org  Both are amazing resources for anyone facing the unique challenges that come with a food allergy.
 
And finally...
 
9- YOU CAN DO IT!! You can make this work, and give your little May a happy, full, and safe way of living. There are literally millions of people living wonderful and fulfilling lives while managing a food allergy, and so will you.
 
Love, Jodi
 
What are some of your tips for the newcomers? Comment below!
 
Visit us please:
Instagram: @foodallergytee Twitter: @talkformetees
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful tips and links for those with food allergies! Thanks for the link to trustthelabel. I was going to bookmark it, but my Google is having issues again and the bookmark star has disappeared. I'll save the link in a document to try again tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete