Friday, December 20, 2013

Because I'm A Grandma

     Dealing with a food allergy is a family affair!  Not only does it have an impact on the child with the food allergy, their parents and siblings it also impacts grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins, and even the family dog.  No more peanut butter doggie treats for Kookie. 
     Let me introduce myself.  My name is Jeanne, or more affectionately known as Grandma Jeanne.  I will be posting on this blog along with my daughter Jodi.  Our perspectives will differ but our concerns and motivation will be the same.  We want to make life better and easier for little Mazzy Mae as she deals with a peanut allergy and as we do we want to reach out and  share what we learn with others who have kiddos with food allergies.  I have 13 grandchildren right now and will be welcoming another one in April.  They range in age from 21 to 18 months.  Right now there are 8 boys and 5 girls. The one on the way will be kept a secret until it is born. 
     With twenty-one years of experience as a grandmother I have learned a lot.  I know how to quiet a crying baby,  build a fort for four year old twins, patch a torn football jersey,  backpack in the wilderness with teenage boys, have an indoor hot dog roast by the wood burning stove and a camp out on the living room floor, give advice about girls, give advice about boys, take their side when they need someone too, attend a concert, attend a wrestling match, attend a primary program, attend a soccer game... I know how to do so many wonderful things because I am lucky enough to be called Grandma.  Now I am learning how to do something else.  I am learning how to understand and live with a food allergy.
      Bright, beautiful, and simply perfect (as may I add are all my grandchildren) little Mazzy Mae is helping me to understand and empathize with families and children who are dealing with a food allergy.
      Since we found out about Mazzy's peanut allergy my eating and shopping habits have changed.  The first thing I did was remove all, yes all, food items in my house that contained peanuts, or were processed in a plant that also processed peanuts.  Next I began reading the labels of everything that I purchased and brought into my house.  No more peanut butter for sure, but also no more of many other items that I had never realized would be a problem.  Cereals, granola bars, cake and brownie mixes, breads, all bakery and deli items; the list goes on and on.  Does it sound hard?  Yes, but it is so doable and such a small effort to make to help ensure Mazzy's safety.
      I have put fences around my yard, acted as lifeguard for my pool, buckled car seats into my car, bought helmets for the bikes, said be careful and look both ways more times than I can count
... and I will  learn everything I can about food allergies!  After all, life isn't all about food, and it can be wonderful with or without that peanut topped doughnut. 
     We hope you will join us on our journey as we strive to make this blog a place where food allergies take a backseat and experiencing life with our wonderful children and grandchildren takes center stage!  I am looking forward to sharing, growing, and learning together.

1 comment:

  1. Love this Mom! You are the best Grandma a little lady could ever hope for!!

    ReplyDelete