Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Lessons of 2013



Well we have officially been a "Food Allergy Family" for a year now, and I have certainly learned a lot in the last 12 months. It seems appropriate to make note of some of these lessons as the new year approaches. Hopefully someone out there will find some wisdom here that will help them as they navigate the world of allergies. I have narrowed it down to my top 5 (in no particular order)...

1. I am surrounded by wonderful and loving people! So many people have gone above and beyond to help keep my little lady safe. My Mom went through her cupboards and threw out anything peanut, or processed with peanuts or tree nuts. The nursery leader at our church not only switched out the snacks, educated all adults that would be using the space and supplies, and made sure all those that would be around my Mazzy were trained to recognize a reaction and could use an epi pen. He then went through and cleaned all the toys to insure no residue from previous use was possible! And a  good friend of ours only packs safe snacks for her little one so they can safely share a treat. Just a few examples of the kind acts that have made my life a little sweeter this year.

2. What would I do without the internet?! My hat is off to all those that had to face the world of a food allergy before the internet, and more specific labeling practices. Armed with my smart phone I head out the door on a regular bases ready to pull up allergen menus and product info at the drop of a hat. I can't tell you how many times I've googled this year. Not to mention the incredibly valuable support system I find in the many blogs, forums, and groups scattered about. The internet is such a powerful tool for us to utilize as we strive to get the word out, and educate people about this growing issue. Yay internet!!

3. I can be creative! I'm not just going to tuck my tail and run from some silly food allergy, and I don't want Mazzy to ever feel like she should either. With great products out there like Sun Cups and Skeeter Snacks we are able to enjoy a yummy treat with the best of them. Hand me a recipe and I can substitute it to peanut friendly perfection. I read the things other parents go through to create milk, egg, or gluten free goodies in awe.  Things are just getting going, and I'm sure I'll need to keep my creative thinking cap active as we face our little obstacles here and there.

4. Get Involved. I'll be the first one to admit I have found my patience more than tried when people just don't seem to understand... Like when someone puts leftover peanut butter bars on my plate of safe cookies I planned to take home. Or when I go to another party where the same beloved family member has forgotten to check the ingredients, and always manages to buy something that isn't safe. So, instead of just heading home and grumbling about it to my husband I decided I need to be more involved in the solution. Make T-shirts, start a blog, have a Facebook interest page, create a Pinterest board, volunteer to do a presentation for the PTA, ask to be on the food committee for community or church functions...JUST DO SOMETHING! Because the more we talk, the better people will understand, and the safer our children will be.

5. We can do this!! When we got the official peanut allergy diagnosis I didn't have any idea how much my life would really change. But, to be honest if I look at the bright side our whole family is healthier and more aware than ever. We cook more whole food from scratch now, instead of buying boxed up processed stuff. And eating out is a rare and planned event rather than a quick impromptu meal. Also my Mom and I have started a line of baby and toddler t-shirts to help raise awareness. And as a family we have started to focus our celebrations and holidays on non food activities cutting out loads of junk food.

In all this has been a tremendous year of growth for us, and I have much to be very grateful for. So here's to the year 2014. I can't wait to see what adventures you have in store for us!!

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed how you embraced your diagnosed and jumped in with both feet. This is just wonderful. My son was diagnosed 13 years ago and it very different and I'm always sooooo happy to see new moms taking advantage of the all the tools out there!

    Congratulations on not letting food allergies stop your living!

    ReplyDelete