Thursday, February 13, 2014

Love for those that make food allergies a little easier!



Today Mazzy and I had the pleasure of attending our first Valentines Day party. My friend and neighbor Kalie put together such a sweet little Love Day themed play date, and bless her wonderful soul made it candy free so me and my little lady could attend without worries. The kids brought valentines to share that included pencils, stickers, kazoos, and glow bracelets. Not only are these items allergen free, but they last a whole lot longer than the usual candy hearts. So in honor of this affectionate holiday I thought I would give a shout out to some of the products and support teams that make my life as a food allergy Momma a little easier. So...in no particular order!

#1: F.A.R.E (aka. Food Allergy Research and Education) A year ago I had no idea what F.A.R.E was. Now I use them as a resource for dependable information, pintable's, and support. It means so much to me as a Momma that they work so hard to raise awareness, They have a big voice and are very wise in the way they use it. Thanks F.A.R.E!!

#2: Dum.Dum Suckers- Sometimes a "treat" is needed, and luckily these multi flavored suckers are free of all of the top 8 allergens. Our favorite go to for the treat bucket at the bank, we also indulge at the local post office here. I always sigh a little prayer of thanks when my little lady gets to partake right along with the other little ones.

#3: Kids With Food Allergies Foundation- I remember watching my first webinar on eating out with food allergies... After watching and absorbing as much info as I could, I felt so much more confident and hopeful. I now call ahead, carry our chef cards, and work directly with the manager any time we eat out. They have provided me with countless resources and valuable tools to keep my little lady safe. The support forums are a wonderful way to connect and collect advise from the experiences of others.

#4: Culvers- Looking for a place for a really good hamburger and fries? I was so surprised and excited when I informed the cashier of Mazzy's allergy. The cashier was obviously well trained, and promptly entered the allergen info into her computer...up on the screen in big red letters pops up PEANUT ALLERGY. The cooks note the heads up and quickly wash all prep surfaces, change their aprons, and wash their hands. This was not what I expected from a "fast food" joint, but I was so grateful I almost cried (literally).

#5: Sunbutter- A most delicious and healthy alternative to the traditional peanut butter. Our house is never without a jar or two...ever had a Sunbutter cookie? Sooooo good! Free of not only those pesky peanuts, but tree nut and gluten as well. This company not only makes a great product, but has made such a loving effort to reach out and support the food allergy community. I think I need a Sunbutter and honey sandwich :)

What are your favorite go to brands, products, and support teams? I can use all the tips I can get.
Please comment, or shout it out on the old FB page....

https://www.facebook.com/foodallergykids

Or maybe twitter is more your style...

https://twitter.com/TalkForMeTees


No comments:

Post a Comment