Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Why Not? I mean....it's only a childs life I guess.

 
 
So, something I have noticed, not only in myself but also as a recurring sentiment from other food allergy parents, is that there is often a feeling of guilt for "inconveniencing" everybody that might have to accommodate our child's special diet. I find myself cringing at the annoyance we must be creating, and hoping that this wont prevent further invitations for my little lady to participate. An easy example, and current hot button issue that I have yet to face, but will in time, is making school a safe place for a child with food allergies. I was talking to my Mom about this just the other day, and I heard myself say "I understand they can't make everyone change because one child has a food allergy". My very wise mother then stated plainly..."why not?"

Think about it. If you stop and think about what is at stake how can you argue any other way? It's not just a matter of a rash, or hurt feelings. In so many cases a child's life is at risk! What could be more pressing and important than a CHILDS LIFE!! Go ahead, I dare you, to give me a legitimate argument against banning food from the classroom (not the lunchroom) when you look at things in that context. In fact I would love to hear what is rolling around in your mind, I am open to hearing and learning from your point of view.

 People would be shocked if a school refused to provide a wheelchair ramp. A school would literally be shut down if they failed to maintain and comply with current fire safety standards. And how about we just get rid of recess aids and crossing guards. We do so many things as parents, teachers, and caregivers to keep children safe. But I can't help but feeling that we are failing miserably in an extremely critical area.

 I understand that many out there don't understand the science of cross contamination. And others are facing their own dietary challenges. But I would hope that we as adults can learn to understand and support each other as we all learn how to deal with this life threatening condition.

Let's find new ways to celebrate birthdays. And instead of having a Dad's and doughnuts day, lets take dad out and plant some trees or flowers. Lets get creative and find new ways to award our children for their achievements. I'm going to say it once and for all... The classroom is just not the place for food anymore.

So, food allergic parents, we need to stop apologizing and feeling guilt for protecting our child's life. It is expected of you as the guardian of your child's life and wellbeing. And, non-food allergic parents, you are blessed not to face this challenge, and please be patient with us as we do. Let's work together to create a safe and happy environment for all children to learn and grow.

Again I would love to hear your thoughts, I am sure there is much to be learned and considered.


No comments:

Post a Comment